Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting rectangles with the Rectangular Marquee tool, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
This chapter is all about the geometric selection tools:…the Marquee and Lasso tools that you can use to make selections in geometric shapes.…This movie covers the Rectangular Marquee tool, which we will use to make…rectangular and square selections.…Let's say, for example, that I want to add a color tint to the inside of…this white rock sign.…Since this is clearly a rectangular area, the best tool to use is…Rectangular Marquee tool.…I will select the Rectangular Marquee tool here in the toolbox, and then I will…move into the image, and I will click in one corner of the area I want to…select, and I will drag diagonally.…
Now whatever changes I make to the image will affect only the area inside of…this rectangular selection.…The change that I'd like to make is to tint this area blue.…So I'll go to the Layers panel, and I'll make sure that I am on the Wall layer…the layer, the contains the white rock sign, and then I'll set my foreground…color to the color of the tint, in this case blue, using the Color panel or the…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland26h 24m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.