Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting precisely with the Pen tool and paths, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
Photoshop's Pen tool is different than the other selection tools because the…Pen tool creates vector-based paths.…These are smooth paths, consisting of curved or straight-line segments…connected by anchor points.…This makes the Pen tool ideal for selecting items with smooth or curved, hard…edges, like a car or maybe some sunglasses.…Once you make a closed path with the Pen tool, you can convert it into a…traditional selection with just one click.…To show you how this all works, I'll go to the toolbox, and there I'm going to…click on the Pen tool.…
I'll go up to the Options bar, and I am going to double-check that I have the…Paths icon selected here, not the Shape layers icon or the Fill pixels icon.…I also like to leave Auto Add/Delete checked, so that I can add or delete…points with the Pen tool.…I am going to move into the image, and I'm going to start right here, selecting…the edge of this truck.…I'll click and then I'll click again to show you that when I create one anchor…point and then another by clicking,…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.