Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting painlessly with the Quick Selection tool, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
This chapter is all about the selection methods that select on the basis of color and tone.…These methods work semi-automatically, and save you lots of time and effort.…My favorite of the selection tools in this category is the Quick Selection tool,…which is located here in the tool slot with the Magic Wand tool.…But don't confuse the Quick Selection tool with the Magic Wand tool.…In many cases, you'll get a lot more control and better results with the Quick…Selection tool, because it selects not only on the basis of color and tone, but…it also can recognize the edges of objects.…
In this case, I would like to use this tool to select this piece of driftwood…from its backdrop, and also to include this small rock outcropping on the left.…In the Layers panel, I will turn off the outcrop layers so that you can see the…content of the background layer and then the content of the outcrop layer.…One of the nice things about the Quick Selection tool is that it can select…content for more than one layer at a time.…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland26h 24m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.