Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting freehand with the Lasso tool, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
The Lasso tool is the simplest of all the selection tools.…With this tool, you can draw a freehand selection in any shape by just…clicking and dragging.…Unfortunately, unless you have really good drawing skills, it can be challenging…to use the Lasso tool to trace part of an image.…But there are other important uses for this tool.…For one thing, the Lasso tool comes in handy to limit an area in which you're…making a selection with another tool, like the Magic Wand tool or the Color…Range feature, both of which select on the basis of color and tone.…
For example, I would like to select the blue ovals behind the letter E and the…letter L. I am going to try to use the Magic Wand tool to do that.…I'll select the Magic Wand in the toolbox, and then I'll go up to the Options…bar for that tool, and I am going to uncheck Contiguous, because what I want to…do is select non-contiguous or non-adjacent pixels of the two separate ovals.…With the Magic Wand, I'll click inside of one of the two ovals, and the Magic…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland26h 24m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.