Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Selecting all, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
Sometimes, the commands that seem the simplest really are the most useful.…The Select All command falls in that category.…Select All comes in handy when you need to select the entire contents of one or more layers.…In this case, I have a photograph that has a single layer, and I want to select…all of the sky so that I can include it as the backdrop to a composite that I'm…building in another document.…To select the entire sky, I'll make sure that I have the sky layer selected…in the Layers panel.…Then I'll go up to the Select menu, and I'll choose All, or I could use the…keyboard shortcut, Command+A on the Mac, or Ctrl+A on the PC.…
That adds the marching ants border around the entire document window.…Then I'll go to the Edit menu and choose Copy.…By the way, Copy would be grayed out if I hadn't made some kind of selection,…because you can't copy until you select.…I've now copied the contents of this layer into my computer's clipboard.…I'm going to switch over to another image, this image of selected stoplights…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.