As you work with alpha channels, you might want to choose to save them in your finished Adobe Photoshop file. What specific output file types do you need if you want to create other types of graphics? In this video, Richard Harrington walks through how to save an alpha channel in Adobe Photoshop.
- As you work with Alpha Channels,…you might want to chose to actually save them…into the finished file.…Now Photoshop documents of course support Alpha Channels,…but you may need to chose some specific…output file types if you need other types of graphics.…Let's open up one of these options here.…Saving Photoshop document.…And this one already had the Alpha Channel made.…If I look at that, it's got the soft details from…the drop shadow.…Alright, easy enough.…
If I chose file, save as.…You'll see that the save command opens up.…Now some of the formats support an Alpha Channel.…So for example, the Photoshop document can store it.…If I chose something like a bitmap graphic,…Alpha Channels can be stored.…Same with a tif, but other file formats won't do it.…You'll notice, for example with jpeg, there's an…exclamation point saying that this is…not a supported file type.…
The jpeg format doesn't understand Alpha Channels.…So this allows you to be very specific with what you create.…Same thing with a png graphic.…So you might be thinking, well, what if I need this…
- What are selections?
- Creating masks from selections
- Moving a selection
- Selecting with the Quick Selection tool
- Transforming a selection
- Using the Refine Edge command
- Selecting a color or tonal range throughout the image
- Making a selection with the Pen tool
- Saving a selection as an alpha channel
- Creating a selection from multiple channels with the Calculations command
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Are Selections?
2. Getting Started with Selection Tools
3. The Wand Tools
4. Refining a Selection
5. Power User Techniques
6. Creating Selections with Channels
What are channels?3m 43s
7. Face-Aware Liquify
Final thoughts1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.