In this video, create a color sketch to collect ideas for your digital painting and establish a rough compositional framework.
- [Instructor] Here's our clear digital canvas … and I want to start my digital painting … by creating a rough color sketch. … Let's zoom in a little bit, and for our rough color sketch, … it makes sense to create a new layer, so a new layer it is. … And I'm using my super flat brush here … to create the first shape. … I want to define the proportions of my scene … and I have a scene in mind. … I can quickly describe to you in words. … So what I want to see is our space truck … that we created in an earlier illustration project … and our space truck should be visible in a planetary scene, … some reddish Mars-like surface, … and in the background I want to have a sky … but a black sky like it would be on a planet … without an atmosphere, and a planet in that sky. … So that's my basic idea. … And here with my flat brush, … I have now created the proportions of my image. … I want it to be in portrait mode … and I will just now block the transparency … of this rectangle that I have painted …
- Setting up a digital canvas
- Using palettes
- Selecting color using the Eyedropper
- Fine-tuning pressure of tablet pens
- Adding a Quick Mask
- Trying different Blending modes
- Using the Smudge, Blur, and Sharpen tools
- Using the Mixer brush
- Dodging and burning
- Selective saturation using the Sponge tool
- Using the Clone Stamp tool
- Transforming selections
- Color adjustments
- Changing layer opacity
- Adding shadows and highlights
- Painting a foreground, midground, and background
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting the Digital Canvas
2. Control of the Digital Screen
3. Tools for Choosing Color
4. Settings for the Brush Tool
5. Additional Tools for Applying Color
6. Supporting Tools
7. Manipulating Color
8. Organizing the Digital Canvas
9. Digital Drawing
10. Colored, Digital Drawing
11. Digital Painting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.