Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Replacing the contents, part of Photoshop: Smart Objects.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Narrator] One of the really useful things…about Smart Objects is the fact…that it gives us the ability to change the contents…of an image after we've distorted it.…We have our street scene on our postcard.…Let's now select this picture of a French chateau.…We'll Select All and Copy.…And now, let's close this picture.…Back in our Smart Object, we can select it…and double-click it to open in a new window.…
Let's paste our new image in here.…And it comes up much too big.…What we're going to do is to drag it down,…beneath the texture layer, and now make it part…of the same clipping group as the original image…so that it clips with a photo background,…leaving the frame around the edge.…We'll go to Layer and Create Clipping Mask.…
Now let's make it smaller.…Free Transform again.…Let's grab the handle and drag it down.…By holding the Shift key, we keep it in proportion.…If we hold the Option or Alt key as well,…then we can scale it from the center.…And this can make it easier to get it down…to the size we want.…
That looks like a good position to me.…
- Editing Smart Objects
- Working with multiple layers
- Replacing contents
- Using Smart Filters
- Nesting Smart Objects
- Creating flexible cover shots
- Working with Camera Raw
- Working with videos and Illustrator files
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CC Essential Training (2015)with Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Photoshop for Designers: Shape Layerswith Nigel French2h 53m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Smart Objects
2. Replacing Contents
3. Smart Filters
4. Multiple Smart Objects
5. Flexible Cover Shots
6. Complex Distortion
7. Working with Camera Raw
8. Smart Object Tips and Tricks
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.