Another type of adjustment layer that is underutilized is the gradient map. Gradient maps allow you to remap colors in an image based on a gradient, which could be a gradual blend between two or more colors. In this video, learn how to use a noise gradient map in Adobe Photoshop to recolor an image.
- If you're looking for creative color effects,…gradient maps are excellent.…This is a great way to take a campaign…and apply it to a photo.…Or to take several different images…and give them a unified look.…In fact it's one of my favorite ways…to integrate a color palate from a client into images;…particularly if those images are going into…a graphic design project like a website or an annual report.…The ability to stylize with color…unlocks new options and the gradient map…is a fun and creative way to do it.…
Up until this point we've been using…a standard gradient map that goes…from one color to another with the smooth blend.…And in fact we could click and add additional…stops for new colors if we wanted.…But instead of using this regular linear…gradient there's another style.…Now what I'm gonna do is click here,…and switch the type of gradient.…Going from a solid gradient to a noise gradient.…And what this does is allows us to pick colors to use.…Now we can try different presets out here to get it started,…and then switch to the noise.…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.