The Quick Selection tool has been part of Adobe Photoshop for a few versions and, like the Magic Wand, it allows you to select pixels based on criteria. What separates it from the Magic Wand? In this video, Richard Harrington demonstrates how to use the Quick Selection tool to make selections in Adobe Photoshop CC 2017.
- The quick selection tool is an…improvement upon the magic wand.…It's going to take a look at the edges and contrast…and try to smooth out the selection as you build it.…From Adobe Bridge, open up the next two images.…You'll see in this case I've made some adjustments.…First up, using a vibrance adjustment,…I adjusted the intensity of the fur for the dog.…Then, I made a curves adjustment…on just the background to darken it slightly…and another curve on the dog itself to brighten it up.…
One selection used three different ways got the results done…Well, let's flip over here to the unaffected image…and I will chose the quick selection tool.…The shortcut is W.…Remember, you can press shift W…to toggle between the two wand tools,…the magic wand and the quick selection wand.…Now, I'm going to drag through.…I'll start with the basic adjustment here…and as I click and drag, it makes a selection.…If I click again, it keeps adding to that.…
You'll notice that it automatically…switched to the plus option.…Now dragging through will start to make a selection.…
- What are selections?
- Creating masks from selections
- Moving a selection
- Selecting with the Quick Selection tool
- Transforming a selection
- Using the Refine Edge command
- Selecting a color or tonal range throughout the image
- Making a selection with the Pen tool
- Saving a selection as an alpha channel
- Creating a selection from multiple channels with the Calculations command
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Are Selections?
2. Getting Started with Selection Tools
3. The Wand Tools
4. Refining a Selection
5. Power User Techniques
6. Creating Selections with Channels
What are channels?3m 43s
7. Face-Aware Liquify
Final thoughts1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.