Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Printing with Lightroom, part of Inkjet Printing for Photographers.
- We've been working exclusively…with Photoshop in this course.…And even if you don't normally use Photoshop,…I think the things that you've learned here…will still be valuable for the simple reason…that the physics of light, color, and ink…don't change from one application to another.…The issues that we've addressed here…are going to hold no matter what you're printing workflow is.…However, if you're like me, these days you manage…your printing workflow out of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom.…That's where my workflow begins,…and sometimes I'm able to do all of the image editing…that I need to do without going into Photoshop at all.…
So do I still need to go to Photoshop to print?…Right now, Lightroom comes in two flavors:…Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC.…Actually, I think it's Lightroom Classic CC…and Lightroom CC, but I can't keep track…of Adobe's silly naming schemes anymore.…I'm just going to start saying CC at the end…of every sentence just to be safe.…CC.…At the time of this shooting, Lightroom CC,…that's the one that's entirely cloud-based,…
After a discussion of how to choose a printer, the course covers the process of preparing both black and white and color images using Adobe Photoshop. Ben describes how to take images from looking good onscreen to being properly adjusted for best results on paper, covering details such as sizing, sharpening, and color management.
With photographer and master framer Konrad Eek, Ben explores the creative decisions that photographers should address before printing. What size print? How does print size relate to the message of the photo and to the space where the photo will be displayed? What kinds of paper choices do you have, and how does your photo's content relate to the paper you choose?
The course also describes how to properly evaluate a print and how to handle common challenges that crop up during the printing process.
- Why print with inkjet?
- Types of inkjet printers: dyes versus pigments
- Making image adjustments specifically for printing
- Printing black-and-white photos
- Resizing an image
- Choosing paper
- Working with sharpening and noise reduction
- Color management
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding and Choosing a Printer
2. Adjusting Images for Printing
3. Resizing Images and the Aesthetics of Print Size
4. Sharpening, Noise, and the Print Dialog
5. Making a Color Print
6. Color Management
7. Choosing a Paper
8. Printing in Lightroom
9. Printing: From Start to Finish
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.