Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Preparing the surfaces, part of Photoshop: Smart Objects.
- [Instructor] In this chapter, we're going to look at…creating a complex distortion that will enable us…to wrap a label around this can,…and then of course, swap out the contents…for any label we choose.…To prepare the artwork, I first made the can into a cutout…and I've hidden the original label…and created this white version to go on top of it.…I've added shading to that white version…which will show through when we add the label afterwards.…I've also made a new layer of just the label…and this will allow us to use it as a clipping mask…so that the label that we put on afterwards…will fit perfectly onto the can.…
And finally, I've created this grid.…We'll use this grid to create the initial distortion,…since it will be much easier to see a what's going on…when we distort a regular grid…rather if we start by distorting a real label.…The gridlines will show us exactly…where to put the distortion.…The first step as always is to turn…this layer into a Smart Object.…We'll make a clipping mask of the grid with the label.…
- Editing Smart Objects
- Working with multiple layers
- Replacing contents
- Using Smart Filters
- Nesting Smart Objects
- Creating flexible cover shots
- Working with Camera Raw
- Working with videos and Illustrator files
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Smart Objects
2. Replacing Contents
3. Smart Filters
4. Multiple Smart Objects
5. Flexible Cover Shots
6. Complex Distortion
7. Working with Camera Raw
8. Smart Object Tips and Tricks
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.