Creature creator Rayce Bird, the winner of Face Off, teaches how to take an existing image of a goblin sculpture and apply textures to help bring the goblin to life. Members will learn how to use blending sliders and the Transform, Warp, and Liquify tools in Photoshop to make the textures believable.
- Choosing the right texture images
- Creating the illusion of form with texturing
- Compositing the ears and mouth
- Adding color
- Refining the lighting
- Color correcting the composite
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Rayce Bird, concept artist, creature creator, and season two winner of Face Off. Thanks for joining me as I teach you how to create a goblin with textures and composites in Photoshop. Throughout the course, you'll learn how to create a realistic goblin creature with some tips and tricks I'll show you. All within Photoshop. I'll start with an existing goblin form that I designed and turn it into something you'd see in your favorite horror flick. You'll learn how to take an existing image of a goblin and apply uncommon textures to create something unique.
I'll start by showing you how to setup your Photoshop artboard. Then I'll show you how to sketch out color and texture zones to ensure you're accurately placing the textures on the goblin. We'll then composite textures that change the form and believability of our goblin by desaturating our images and blending them into the base image using layer masks. After that, we'll use digital painting techniques to further blend forms and add lighting information to our goblin's skin. We'll cover all these features, plus plenty of other helpful tools and techniques.
Now let's get creating.