Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Painting in a solid color into the background, part of Learning Photoshop Portrait Retouching.
- [Narrator] When retouching your portraits…another situation that you may encounter is…where you have something in the background…like we have in these two portraits,…which is sort of dark and distracting.…And rather than remove that you want to cover it up…with a solid color.…Well how do you do that?…Well let's begin with this photograph here…and I'll go to full screen mode by pressing the F key.…And this is a photograph I captured of a friend.…In the background we can see these dark elements.…They're just not really working for me.…So the way that we're going to fix this…is take advantage of the fact that she's wearing a hat,…and we'll make selection of the hat,…which we will then invert so that we can…paint in a color into the background.…
Let me show you how this will work.…We'll choose the quick select tool,…and with quick select basically what you do…is you click on the tool and then click and drag…over an area that you want to select.…It works really well if you have a defined shape…like we have here because the hat's a pretty defined shape.…
- Cleaning up the background
- Removing distractions with the Spot Healing Brush
- Removing logos, jewelry, and lint
- Sculpting with Liquify
- Smoothing skin
- Removing unflattering distortion
- Changing the face with Face-Aware Liquify
- Removing shadows and wrinkles
- Improving eyes
- Whitening teeth
- Changing makeup
- Using multiple frames
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop Retouching: Beauty Portraitswith Timothy Sexton1h 12m Intermediate
1. Clean Up the Background
2. Remove and Improve
3. Shape, Sculpt, and Modify
4. Improve Skin
5. Remove Shadows and Wrinkles
6. Improve Eyes
7. Whiten Teeth and Change Makeup
9. Using Multiple Frames
10. Bonus Tips and Advanced Challenges
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.