Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Painting selections in Quick Mask, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
Earlier in this chapter, I showed you how to paint into a quick mask to clean up…the edges of the selection.…You can also paint directly into a quick mask without a selection active, and…then convert your quick mask into a selection to get some creative effects.…To show you that, I will enter Quick Mask mode by clicking the Quick Mask mode…icon here at the bottom of the toolbox.…You can't tell from the document that I am in Quick Mask mode yet, but that you will…in a second, when I start to paint into the mask.…I'll select the Brush tool, and then I'll go up to the Options bar, and I'll…click in the brush preset picker.…
I'll scroll down in this default set of brushes and select the scattered maple…leaves brush, and then I'll click in a blank area of the Options bar to close…the brush preset picker.…I'll move into the image, and I'll click and drag a few times to scatter some brush shapes.…It may look like I am painting directly on the image, but I am not.…I am actually painting onto the quick mask.…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.