Ready to watch this entire course?
Become a member and get unlimited access to the entire skills library of over 4,800 courses, including more Photography and personalized recommendations.Start Your Free Trial Now
- View Offline
- Performing an image-correction triage
- Cloning to an empty layer
- Using adjustment layers
- Opening a raw file as a smart object
- Making selective adjustments
- Recovering the detail in skies
- Fixing exposure
- Saving time with Auto Tone and Auto Contrast
- Adjusting hue and saturation
- Controlling adjustment layers with masks
- Adjusting shadows and highlights
- Converting an image to black and white
Skill Level Intermediate
- Hi, my name is Rich Harrington and I'd like to welcome you as we explore non-destructive techniques for fixing color and exposure with photos. Today, I'm going to be using Adobe Photoshop CS6, but these techniques will work with most versions of Photoshop. Our emphasis is on speed and really getting in there and quickly making changes. Now, I want to point out that when it comes to color correction, things are incredibly subjective. So, the techniques I show you are useful but you may decide that you want to slightly tweak the image to better match your needs.
Another thing to realize with color correction is that you want to work non-destructively, which is really the whole focus of our course here. The emphasis with non-destructive color correction is that it's easy to make changes throughout the process. If you go to print and that printer is a little bit different, you can easily make a tweak. The goal here is that things are not permanently baked in. Rather, with a click or two, we can jump in and start to modify the exposure adjustment or the color adjustment. Again, it's all about speed so the techniques I show you today are going to be fast and easy.
Feel free to dig in deeper and take your time, but I want to get the job done. We're going to be using a bunch of photos from several trips I've taken to zoos and wildlife parks, and these techniques will work great on these. We've got lots of vibrant color as well as contrast issues, and of course, you can apply this to other types of images as well.
Sign up for a Premium Membership to download courses for Internet-free viewing.
Watch offline with your iOS, Android, or desktop app.Start Your Free Trial
After signing up, download the course here or from the iOS/Android App.