Ready to watch this entire course?
Become a member and get unlimited access to the entire skills library of over 4,800 courses, including more Design and personalized recommendations.Start Your Free Trial Now
- View Offline
- Setting up a workspace
- Working with the seven key selection tools
- Using the Color Range command
- Automating masking
- Matching a scene with Smart Filters
- Choosing the ideal base channel
- Converting a channel to a mask
- Painting with the Overlay and Soft Light modes
- Using History to regain a lost mask
- Working with the Calculations command
- Extracting a mask from a Smart Object
- Masking and compositing light
- Masking with black and white
- Working with path outlines
- Combining pixel and vector masks
- Creating and feathering a vector mask
Skill Level Intermediate
My sincere hope is that you now have a grasp on the basic techniques and tools that you'll need to make meticulous selections and imaginative compositions in Photoshop. But masking is often an if-then proposition, meaning that it requires a different approach based on the specific images that you're working with. To that end, you should think of this course, the one you just finished, as the mother ship of masking and compositing in Photoshop. In time, I'll post satellite courses in the lynda.com Online Training Library that address such particular themes as masking hair and feathers, the advanced blending features, and selecting intricate outlines with the Pen tool.
If you'd like to see how I use advanced masking to create real-world project as well as exploit many other features inside of Photoshop, check out my course Photoshop One-on-One: Mastery. And if you'd like to get a photographer's take on this subject, check out my friend and colleague Chris Orwig's course, Photoshop: Creative Compositing. Whatever you do, I hope to see you again really soon. On behalf of lynda.com, this is Deke McClelland saying, "See ya!"
Sign up for a Premium Membership to download courses for Internet-free viewing.
Watch offline with your iOS, Android, or desktop app.Start Your Free Trial
After signing up, download the course here or from the iOS/Android App.