Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of Exploring Photography: White Balance and Color Temperature.
- If there's one single thing to take away from this course…it's simply to pay attention.…Pay attention to when your lighting situation changes.…Sometimes that may not be a change in venue.…Right now we've got a cloudy day…so we're freely passing from sunlight into shade,…even without moving around,…so I'm really needing to be careful about white balance.…Indoors the same thing can happen.…Someone can turn on a light source as ambient light dims…and even in your lighting situation has changed.…You always need to be having some part of your brain…checking in on, "Is my white balance still accurate…"for the light that I'm still standing in?"…As long as you stay on top of that…and know the rudiments of your white balance controls…you'll be fine working with light balance in any situation.…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Ben Long explores the art and science of white balance and color temperature. Ben explores how to adjust your camera's white-balance settings, and what to do when auto white balance goes wrong. He then surveys some optional aids for white balance, and scenarios where "inaccurate" color may well be the right stylistic choice.
- What is white balance?
- Exploring auto white balance and understanding why it fails
- Working with white-balance camera presets
- Using ExpoDiscs and WhiBal cards
- Making stylistic white-balance choices
- Correcting mixed white balance