Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Moving selection boundaries, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
After you've made an initial selection, you can move the selection boundary to…get it just where you want it in an image.…The thing to keep in mind is that moving a selection boundary is different than…moving the actual content of the selection.…First, let me show you how to move the content of a selection.…I'll make a selection, using the Rectangular Marquee tool, around this Pearl street sign.…If I reach for the Move tool in the toolbox, and then I click inside the…selection and drag, I'll end up moving the content of the selection.…
In this case, I've left behind this gray-and-white checkerboard that represents…transparency, because I'm moving the content of the single layer in this file.…This isn't a special background layer;…it's a regular layer.…I'm going to press Command+D - that's Ctrl+D on the PC - to deselect.…Now, I'd like to show you how to move a selection boundary, which is different…than moving the content of a selection.…I'll make another selection using the Rectangular Marquee tool around this stoplight.…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland26h 24m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.