Explore converting type to shape layers in order to edit the letterforms. Also, learn about adding texture to the resulting letter shapes.
- [Instructor] In this movie, I'll show you…how we can create this simple but effective technique…of filling in the counters,…the interior shapes within the letters…and also applying a texture.…Here is my starting file.…Now because I need to convert my text to a shape layer,…I am first of all going to copy it.…Command or control + J.…I'll then turn off the one beneath,…right click and choose convert to shape.…
Now when I convert the type layer to a shape layer,…everything becomes the same color.…So I'm going to now copy the resulting shape layer,…command or control + J and on the top layer,…I'll just temporarily hide the one underneath.…I am going to come and choose my path selection tool…and when I do so, you will see all of those anchor points…indicating what is now vector shapes.…I'll click to deselect and then just swipe over…the bottom portion and delete.…
I'll now turn that layer off,…turn the layer below on and do the equivalent…by deleting the top portion.…Now coming to the bottom portion,…I want to restore the color that was already there.…
- Illustrating a concept
- Modifying letterforms
- Creating distressed text with a displacement map
- Creating effects such as smoky or fiery type
- Painting type with custom brushes
- Creating print-inspired type effects
- Working with multilayered type
- Creating a type portrait
- Creating nostalgic type treatments
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Textureswith Nigel French1h 47m Intermediate
1. Simple Type Effects
2. Damaged and Distressed Type
3. Real-World Type Effects
4. Print-Inspired Type Effects
5. Type and Pattern
6. Type Portraits
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.