Learn how to create your own pattern repeat in Photoshop.
- [Instructor] Now, let's talk about…how to make a basic pattern in Photoshop.…I'm gonna create a new file, and, since we're gonna be…using these to fill fashion illustrations,…I'm gonna make a small file.…I'm just gonna make it three inches by three inches,…and a resolution of 150.…I find this works very nicely.…So, here's my file.…I can go ahead and give it a background color.…So, I'll select a color, and I can use the shortcut key…Option + Delete to fill it.…And, just to keep things simple, I'm gonna use…the Shape tool and just make a little shape here.…
Let's pick another color, maybe we'll just do white,…and grab my Shape tool, and we'll grab…this little flower here.…I'm gonna hold my Shift key while I draw it…to keep it constrained, and, a nifty little trick,…if you draw something and it's not where you want it,…while you're still holding the Shift key and the mouse,…you can press down the Spacebar and move your shape…into a different location.…So, I think I like it there, I'm gonna release…the Spacebar and then release my mouse,…
- Using and scaling pattern fills
- Making basic patterns
- Turning scanned swatches into a pattern
- Working with textured fabrics or ditsy prints
- Working with other types of repeats
- Preparing your illustration
- Manipulating pattern fills
- Swapping patterns
- Mocking up photos
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop Retouching: Fashion Editorialwith Timothy Sexton58m 7s Intermediate
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
1. Important Tools to Know
2. Pattern Basics
3. Working with Scanned Fabric Swatches
4. Prepping the Illustration
5. Manipulating Pattern Fills
6. Swapping Patterns
7. Mocking Up Photos
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.