Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Making Step and Repeat web buttons in Quick Mask, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
Here's something fun and unusual that you can do in Quick Mask mode, and that is…to create a series of selections and evenly distribute those.…This comes in really handy when you need to make something like web buttons that…are evenly distributed across the navigation bar.…I'm starting here with some text and stars that I'm going to have on top of…each navigation button.…These are already evenly spaced, and I'll use them as a guide.…I'll start by creating a selection in the shape of a web button by going to the…Elliptical Marquee tool, holding down the Shift key to constrain to a circle…and clicking and dragging a circular selection around the word "Mission," and its star.…
Then I'll release my mouse, and I'll release the Shift key in that order.…With the elliptical marquee tool still selected, I can use the arrow keys on my…keyboard to nudge that selection into place, so that it's approximately centered…around the word Mission and that star.…The next step is to enter Quick Mask mode.…I'll go down to the bottom of the toolbox and click the Quick Mask mode icon there.…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland26h 24m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.