Learn about how the Magic Wand tool works and how you use it in this course to make selections. Also learn how to use the Quick Selection tool to make selections.
- [Instructor] Before we can start…warping fabrics on illustrations or photographs,…we need to start by making selections.…And, in this movie,…I'm gonna show you a couple of selection tools.…The first tool I wanna talk about is the magic wand,…and you can find it in the toolbar, right here.…This is really good…for separating illustrations from backgrounds,…specifically a solid color background,…and generally white,…because when we do an illustration,…we generally do it on a white background,…but we wanna place it on another background.…
And, in this file,…I have a gradient here that I'm gonna place this on.…This illustration was done by one…of my Otis Fashion students, Brielle.…So, in order to select the background,…we can grab the magic wand,…click on the background,…and it's gonna select every pixel that's white…until it reaches a pixel that isn't white,…and it does a pretty good job.…Now, there's a few settings to be aware of.…One of them is contiguous,…and contiguous means that it's gonna select…every white pixel that's touching another white pixel,…
- Using and scaling pattern fills
- Making basic patterns
- Turning scanned swatches into a pattern
- Working with textured fabrics or ditsy prints
- Working with other types of repeats
- Preparing your illustration
- Manipulating pattern fills
- Swapping patterns
- Mocking up photos
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop Retouching: Fashion Editorialwith Timothy Sexton58m 7s Intermediate
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
1. Important Tools to Know
2. Pattern Basics
3. Working with Scanned Fabric Swatches
4. Prepping the Illustration
5. Manipulating Pattern Fills
6. Swapping Patterns
7. Mocking Up Photos
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.