In this video, explore the different ways in which working on a specific layer can be restricted and have a particularly close look at the option to lock the transparency of a layer.
- [Instructor] When a layer is active in the layer pallet, … we can freely work on it … and use any tool that we want. … However, there is also the possibility … to restrict some actions on our layer … and we find these options here as little icons … in the top region of our layers pallet. … This little lock icon here … lets us completely lock down the layer. … Now we can't do anything with it. … If we try to do something we get an error message. … We also cannot move the layer, … it's restricted. … There are some weaker restrictions that we can activate. … For example, this is the locked position restriction. … Now we can still paint on our layer … but we cannot move it. … And with a little paint brush icon … we can still move the layer around … but we cannot paint on it. … Probably the most useful restriction that we can activate … is the lock transparent pixels option. … If we activate it … we can paint on the layer, … but as you will be able to see when I change my color, … we can only paint on those pixels in the layer …
- Setting up a digital canvas
- Using palettes
- Selecting color using the Eyedropper
- Fine-tuning pressure of tablet pens
- Adding a Quick Mask
- Trying different Blending modes
- Using the Smudge, Blur, and Sharpen tools
- Using the Mixer brush
- Dodging and burning
- Selective saturation using the Sponge tool
- Using the Clone Stamp tool
- Transforming selections
- Color adjustments
- Changing layer opacity
- Adding shadows and highlights
- Painting a foreground, midground, and background
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting the Digital Canvas
2. Control of the Digital Screen
3. Tools for Choosing Color
4. Settings for the Brush Tool
5. Additional Tools for Applying Color
6. Supporting Tools
7. Manipulating Color
8. Organizing the Digital Canvas
9. Digital Drawing
10. Colored, Digital Drawing
11. Digital Painting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.