Join David Mattingly for an in-depth discussion in this video Lights and glows, part of Digital Matte Painting Essentials 4: Texturing.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
We have all the detail we need on our…castle, but it doesn't look like anyone is home yet.…Let's add some lights, glows, and a lit doorway to show the human presence.…First, let's light up the entrance. Select around it.…Then subtract the crenelations from the selection.…Copy merge to copy everything out.…Paste it in place to put the entrance on a new layer.…Name this layer Lights.…Load the selection from the layer and hide it.…Then pick a bright red color.…
Choose that big, soft, round brush and set the brush transfer mode to Overlay.…We aren't setting the layer to Overlay, just the brush, and…then painting directly on the entrance pixels to get the effect.…We're using the juicy properties of the overlay mode to increase…the color and saturation to get the entrance an incandescent red.…When it starts to look intense enough, change to white.…You'll need to do multiple applications of this, but it turns the…inner core of the entrance yellow, just the glowing effect we're looking for.…
When using the overlay brushes, the edges can get crunchy and messy, so…
- Preparing your form study for texturing
- Adding dark and light side textures
- Making rounded textures with the Warp tool
- Creating photographic crenellations
- Using Levels and Curves for color correction
- Adding photographic elements
- Relighting details
- Adding glows, smoke, and flames
Skill Level Beginner
1. Using Photographic Textures to Finish Your Castle
2. Adding Unique, Photographic Crenellations to Your Castles
The Vanishing Point tool4m 54s
3. Color Correction with Levels and Curves
4. Distorting and Relighting Photographic Textures
5. Finishing Your Castle
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.