This video covers improving the brightness and contrast with a Levels adjustment.
- [Instructor] Often the biggest improvement…one can make to the color of an image…is to boost the contrast.…Photoshop offers several tools…that help you improve the contrast of your images.…Levels offers the best combination…of ease of use and functionality.…I'd like to use the levels adjustment…in conjunction with the histogram panel,…so I'm going to come to the Window menu,…and choose Histogram,…where I'm going to change my view to RGB,…and then update the histogram.…
The shape of the histogram indicates, in this case,…that there is missing shadow information,…and there is not much in the way of highlight information.…So I'm now going to use a levels adjustment…to rectify that.…Now, it's possible to apply levels as a static adjustment…here on the menus,…but better to apply levels as an adjustment layer…because it is non-destructive.…So we see the same shape of histogram here in levels…as we do on the histogram panel.…When we change this one,…the shape of this one will update.…
I'll begin with my shadows,…and I'm going to get my black point slider…
- The color wheel and color relationships
- Managing color swatches
- Transparency and color channels
- Working with the Color Picker
- Additive and subtractive color
- Working with color modes
- Performing color correction
- Saturation and desaturation
- Designing with spot color
- Using adjustments: levels, curves, and white balance
- Using auto color adjustments
- Matching color
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Layer Effectswith Nigel French1h 49m Intermediate
1. Color Terms and Concepts
2. Color Conventions in Photoshop
3. Color Modes in Photoshop
4. Evaluate and Measure Color in Photoshop
5. Enhance Color in Photoshop
6. Techniques for Working with Color in Photoshop
7. Combine Color and Black and White in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.