Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Letterpress effect, part of Photoshop for Designers: Type Effects (2018).
- [Instructor] I would like to show you…how to create this simple letter press effect.…Here's the starting file.…On the layers panel, we have two layers of type…and a layer of paper.…I'm going to select the two layers of type…holding down the shift key and then I want…to make them into a single smart object.…I'm doing this because I need to apply…a filter to the type as a whole.…So right-click and convert to smart object.…
Before I apply that filter, I'm going to apply a layer style…and the one I want to use is an inner shadow.…These are the default values for an inner shadow.…To experiment with the amount of shadow,…move onto the canvas and actually drag to the right…and as you do so, you'll see the distance…and the angle change and then along the left hand…edges of the strokes of the letters, the shadow will appear.…
I'm going to soften the shadow by increasing it's size…and I'm also going to darken it by increasing it's opacity.…Next, I want to displace the type…so that it becomes roughened around the edges…
- Illustrating a concept
- Modifying letterforms
- Creating distressed text with a displacement map
- Creating effects such as smoky or fiery type
- Painting type with custom brushes
- Creating print-inspired type effects
- Working with multilayered type
- Creating a type portrait
- Creating nostalgic type treatments
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Textureswith Nigel French1h 47m Intermediate
1. Simple Type Effects
2. Damaged and Distressed Type
3. Real-World Type Effects
4. Print-Inspired Type Effects
5. Type and Pattern
6. Type Portraits
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.