Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Learning how to use the Dodge tool, part of Learning Photoshop Portrait Retouching.
- [Instructor] Another awesome way to retouch…away shadows or wrinkles is with the Dodge tool.…And here we'll look at how we can use…the Dodge tool to improve this portrait.…Yet before we get to the portrait…I want to show you how the tool works.…And to do that I've created a demo layer.…I'll turn on the visibility of that layer…and zoom in and you can see here…basically it's a gradient that goes from…our shadows over here to our mid tones to our highlights.…And the reason why I have this is because…this will help us understand how the tool works.…You can select the tool by pressing the O key…or click on the icon.…
Then up in the options bar you can choose…your brush characteristics.…Next you can target a particular range of tones:…shadows, mid tones or highlights.…Here I'll select the highlights to start.…Next we have exposure.…You can think of exposure like intensity.…And last but not least we have protect tones.…We'll talk more about this later but for now…for the first part of the demo we'll leave that off.…
- Cleaning up the background
- Removing distractions with the Spot Healing Brush
- Removing logos, jewelry, and lint
- Sculpting with Liquify
- Smoothing skin
- Removing unflattering distortion
- Changing the face with Face-Aware Liquify
- Removing shadows and wrinkles
- Improving eyes
- Whitening teeth
- Changing makeup
- Using multiple frames
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop Retouching: Beauty Portraitswith Timothy Sexton1h 12m Intermediate
1. Clean Up the Background
2. Remove and Improve
3. Shape, Sculpt, and Modify
4. Improve Skin
5. Remove Shadows and Wrinkles
6. Improve Eyes
7. Whiten Teeth and Change Makeup
9. Using Multiple Frames
10. Bonus Tips and Advanced Challenges
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.