Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Laying out images, part of Inkjet Printing for Photographers.
- Printing gets its own module in LightRoom.…And like the other modules, you select it from here.…Or you can grab it up here from the window menu…where of course you will also see…shortcuts for all the different modules.…I never actually use these…and I'm a pretty keyboard driven person.…But, you can easily, quickly move around LightRoom that way.…When I open up the print module in LightRoom,…it,…as you would expect with opening any of the other modules,…starts with my current selection down here.…So I'm doing a single image here.…I can of course print multiple images at a time.…
My film strip stays open…so I can easily select a bunch of different images.…I've got a lot of controls here.…So we're just going to work from left to right.…First of all, over here on the left,…I have templates.…These are templates for layouts.…They have nothing to do with what my image looks like.…They're just a quick way for organizing images on the page.…You can see I've got a single four by six image.…And it has already taken the selected image…
After a discussion of how to choose a printer, the course covers the process of preparing both black and white and color images using Adobe Photoshop. Ben describes how to take images from looking good onscreen to being properly adjusted for best results on paper, covering details such as sizing, sharpening, and color management.
With photographer and master framer Konrad Eek, Ben explores the creative decisions that photographers should address before printing. What size print? How does print size relate to the message of the photo and to the space where the photo will be displayed? What kinds of paper choices do you have, and how does your photo's content relate to the paper you choose?
The course also describes how to properly evaluate a print and how to handle common challenges that crop up during the printing process.
- Why print with inkjet?
- Types of inkjet printers: dyes versus pigments
- Making image adjustments specifically for printing
- Printing black-and-white photos
- Resizing an image
- Choosing paper
- Working with sharpening and noise reduction
- Color management
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Understanding and Choosing a Printer
2. Adjusting Images for Printing
3. Resizing Images and the Aesthetics of Print Size
4. Sharpening, Noise, and the Print Dialog
5. Making a Color Print
6. Color Management
7. Choosing a Paper
8. Printing in Lightroom
9. Printing: From Start to Finish
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.