Join Bert Monroy for an in-depth discussion in this video Layer styles: Light sources, part one, part of Artistic Concepts with Bert Monroy: Volume 2.
- Layer styles play a crucial role in a lot of my work.…This particular piece called Damon,…come in close on some of these little bolts in here.…Most of these effects, right here, are layer styles.…Let's go in there and look at those.…Right here I have in two layers, two little circles.…Very similar to those bolts that we saw in the (girders),…there's a left and right.…What I'm going to do is…I'm going to go to the right one right here.…I'll double-click to bring up the layer styles.…I want to make it look like one of those bolts.…The first thing I do is I give it some a bevel and emboss.…I'll increase the size of it.…
A nice big size, just like that.…I can soften it up, so it gets a little softer.…There we can see the effect that it has.…Now. since it's raised from the surface of course,…it's going to through in a little drop shadow. See it.…I can increase the distance of that drop shadow,…and the size, and bring down the intensity of it,…so, it's a little softer.…Give it a little more distance,…so it makes it look even higher.…
Need to brush up on concepts like perspective and light? Watch the first installment of Artistic Concepts with Bert Monroy here.
- Creating custom materials
- Creating cork, marble, chrome, and glass materials
- Reusing and repurposing layers
- Using layer masks and layer-mask effects
- Using alpha channels