In this video, explore another way to work non-destructively on your layer content by using layer masks.
- [Instructor] When we apply color to a layer, … we cover up its transparency. … We can only restore the transparency … by using a tool like the eraser tool, for example, … and erasing the color, … which restores the transparency of the layer. … But there are also other ways to work … with the transparency of a layer. … For example, we can use a layer mask. … I want to show you how this works. … So I've started to create a tree here. … The wooden parts are ready, … but now I need some foliage, … and I have already prepared a layer here. … I will just make it visible, … and this layer contains a nice, green pattern … that is perfect for our foliage, … but it hasn't got the right shape right at the moment, … and one thing I could do is use the eraser tool … and start erasing parts of this layer … in order to bring it into shape, … but I can also use a layer mask. … In the layers palette at the very bottom, … we find this button here that says add layer mask. … Now our layer has a layer mask linked to it …
- Setting up a digital canvas
- Using palettes
- Selecting color using the Eyedropper
- Fine-tuning pressure of tablet pens
- Adding a Quick Mask
- Trying different Blending modes
- Using the Smudge, Blur, and Sharpen tools
- Using the Mixer brush
- Dodging and burning
- Selective saturation using the Sponge tool
- Using the Clone Stamp tool
- Transforming selections
- Color adjustments
- Changing layer opacity
- Adding shadows and highlights
- Painting a foreground, midground, and background
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting the Digital Canvas
2. Control of the Digital Screen
3. Tools for Choosing Color
4. Settings for the Brush Tool
5. Additional Tools for Applying Color
6. Supporting Tools
7. Manipulating Color
8. Organizing the Digital Canvas
9. Digital Drawing
10. Colored, Digital Drawing
11. Digital Painting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.