Join Daniel Lieske for an in-depth discussion in this video Layer masks, part of Drawing and Painting in Photoshop - The Great Training.
- There is an interesting technique…to hide content from a layer…without right away deleting it.…Let's take an example.…We have the layer with the hills…here in the foreground.…And now I want to adjust the contour of the hills.…I could take the eraser and start…refining the contour here,…but this will delete…all the information that has been there,…and that might not be desirable…on all occasions.…
An alternative is to use a layer mask.…We can access the layer mask…in the Layers palette at the very bottom,…and while we have the layer…that we want to mask selected,…we click this little icon here…and this adds a mask to this layer.…Now, this is a little bit tricky,…and I'm trying to walk you through it…step by step.…You can select the layer or the layer mask…by clicking on the little thumbnails here…in the Layers palette.…
I want to start with the layer active.…I am now taking the brush tool…and work on the layer.…It just behaves like expected,…and please note that the color that I have selected…is the color that I'm working with,…
- Setting up your digital canvas
- Controlling the screen
- Choosing color
- Working with brushes, textures, and the Paint Bucket and Gradient tools
- Making selections
- Working in Quick Mask mode
- Stroking and filling paths
- Manipulating color
- Organizing the canvas with layers
- Digital drawing and painting projects
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC Essential Training (2015)with Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Creating a Digital Painting with Photoshop CS5with Daniel Lieske2h 17m Intermediate
1. Setting the Digital Canvas
2. Control of the Digital Screen
3. Tools for Choosing Color
4. Tools for the Application of Color
5. Supporting Tools
6. Manipulating Color
7. Organizing the Digital Canvas
8. Digital Drawing
9. Colored, Digital Drawing
10. Digital Painting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.