This video explores the characteristics and usage of the Lab color mode.
- [Instructor] Let's take a look at the Lab color version…of the image.…The Lab color version has three channels…just like the RGB image…and consequently is the same file size as the RGB image.…Like the CMYK image, not all of the filters…are available in this color mode.…The channels are Lightness,…which is a grayscale version of the image, a and b.…a is on a magenta to green scale,…and b is on a yellow to blue scale.…
We're going to come to the Layers panel,…and as I did before, add a Curves adjustment.…Like the RGB image, when we move up, we add light,…and when we move down, we remove light.…If we switch to the a channel and we move up,…the image becomes more magenta.…We move down, and the image will become more green.…Now switching to the b.…If we move up, the image becomes more yellow.…
Move down, and the image becomes more blue.…Unlike a mode conversion between RGB and CMYK,…converting to Lab color is not destructive.…Lab color is a device independent color space.…The properties of Lab color…are not tied to specific color profiles,…
- The color wheel and color relationships
- Managing color swatches
- Transparency and color channels
- Working with the Color Picker
- Additive and subtractive color
- Working with color modes
- Performing color correction
- Saturation and desaturation
- Designing with spot color
- Using adjustments: levels, curves, and white balance
- Using auto color adjustments
- Matching color
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Layer Effectswith Nigel French1h 49m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
1. Color Terms and Concepts
2. Color Conventions in Photoshop
3. Color Modes in Photoshop
4. Evaluate and Measure Color in Photoshop
5. Enhance Color in Photoshop
6. Techniques for Working with Color in Photoshop
7. Combine Color and Black and White in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.