You can invert individual color channels as well as the L-channel and all three channels. Individual channel modification can seem like a parlor novelty trick, but it has applications that are important for adjusting color in an image.
- [Instructor] Continuing with our foxglove, … suppose you want to change the color of the flower's petals … without changing the background white. … Using LAB Color, this is easy to do. … With the image converted to LAB, Image, Mode, LAB Color, … choose the A channel in the channels palette … by clicking on it to make the gray bar active. … Then click on the eyeball next to LAB … to make sure that all three channels are visible. … Now you can go Image, Adjustment, Invert … and you'll see that the petals are this sort of cyan-y blue … and the stalk is a brown color. … Lest you think this adjustment is a mere frippery, … keep in mind that the point is to work toward … a palette of possibilities, as I'll show you … once you have command of the basket … of LAB channel color adjustments. … There are a great many ways to render … and enhance portions of an image using the palette … in combination with each other and blending modes. … Don't forget to re-select all three channels … before continuing with your workflow. …
- Converting images to Lab Color space
- Applying Curves to Lab channels
- Selective sharpening
- Inverting channels
- Making per-channel equalizations
- Using the Lab action
- Combining Lab Color with blending modes
- Making patterns with Lab images
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Backgrounds and Textureswith Harold Davis2h 18m Intermediate
Enhancing Landscape Photos with Photoshop and Lightroomwith Ben Long1h 30m Intermediate
Enhancing Night and Low-Light Photos with Photoshopwith Seán Duggan2h 12m Intermediate
1. Fine-Tuning an Image with LAB and Curves
2. Using the Inversion Adjustment
Inverting the A channel3m 25s
3. Working with Equalizations
4. A Palette of Lab Possibilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.