Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Improving tone with Burn and Dodge, part of Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Techniques.
In this movie we're going to be doing some burning and dodging.…Now before we begin our burning and dodging, let's clean up our layers a little bit, we'll click in the topmost layer…and then hold then the Shift key and click in the retouched layer and press Command+E on the mac, Ctrl+E on the PC…and then name this retouched and then we'll look at our before and after.…before and after, great improvements, we'll zoom-in on the image a little bit so we can see the faces there.…We're going to create a new layer.…Shift+Command+N on a mac, Shift+Ctrl+N on a PC and we'll call this burn and dodge and we're going to take our Blend mode…to Soft Light and fill this with Soft-Light-neutral color click OK.…
Next, we'll select the Dodge tool.…We're going to work on the mid tones, real low percentage here about 10% I think will work pretty well initially.…That looks good and I'm going to make my brush a little bit smaller here and I'm just going to start to brighten up the area…around the eyes here and I'm going to slowly paint this, a little bit smaller brush size, real small to get into that wrinkle…
- Removing distracting background elements
- Cleaning up small skin blemishes
- Reducing and removing wrinkles
- Softening and smoothing skin
- Adding and enhancing makeup
- Enhancing and enlivening eyes
- Brightening and whitening teeth
- Improving contrast and contour
- Adding body shape and dimension
- Cropping and composing a wedding portrait
- Improving portrait lighting
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Essentialswith Chris Orwig10h 18m Intermediate
Beyond Skin: Going Deeper with Photoshop CS3with Lee Varis3h 56m Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Creative Photographic Techniqueswith Chris Orwig10h 58m Intermediate
1. Creative Portrait Retouch
2. Headshot Portrait Retouch
3. Three-Quarter Portrait Retouch
4. Full Body Portrait Retouch
5. Wedding Retouch: The Bride
6. Wedding Retouch: The Cover Shot
7. Reversing the Aging Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.