Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Hiding selection boundaries, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
There are times when the marching ants of a selection border can get in your way,…making it difficult to see what you are doing in an image.…Fortunately, you don't have to eliminate those marching ants altogether; you can…simply make them temporarily invisible.…To show you that, I am going to load a particularly dense selection that I…made around these trees.…I'll go to the Channels panel, and there I have an Alpha 1 channel that represents…selection that I made earlier, using the Color Range command and the Refine…selection dialog box.…I saved that selection as an Alpha channel by going to select Save Selection, as…I will explain how to do in a later movie.…
I'd like to load that selection, and to do that I am going to hold down the…Command key on a Mac or the Ctrl key on a PC and click right on the thumbnail…on that Alpha channel.…I don't want to click on the Alpha channel itself but on its thumbnail, and that…loads this dense selection that I made earlier.…I made this selection so that I'd have a boundary inside of which I could paint.…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.