Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Handling tricky skies, part of Foundations of Photography: Black and White.
The ability to tone skies lighter or darker is one of the easiest ways to get…more drama, or more contrast, into a black- and-white image, but there is something…you need to be very, very careful about.…This is a RAW file that you saw earlier.…It's in your Assets folder, and I am going to go in here and darken the sky up here.…And immediately, the feel of the image starts changing.…Again, nice contrast with this tree.…It's a great way of bringing out foreground elements, but I am going to zoom in here.…Look what's happening around this tree here, and look how much worse it gets as I…continue to tone the sky darker. I'm getting this weird halo around some of these…branches, and it's only on this one tree, and sure enough, this tree is a…different color than that tree.…
Let's zoom in real close and see what we get here.…There are these fringy tones around this tree, and so they're not getting hit by…the adjustment that I'm making with the Black and White layer.…I've targeted blues, and those tones in there aren't blue and so they're not…
- Why shoot in black and white
- How to recognize good black-and-white subject matter
- Preparing the camera
- Shooting a tone-based subject
- Exposing for black and white
- Understanding grayscale
- Converting from color to black and white using Photoshop CS4 or CS5
- Converting to black and white in Camera Raw
- Toning and split-toning
- Comparing high key versus low key images
- Preparing a black and white image for print
Skill Level Intermediate
Black and White with Lightroom and Photoshopwith Bryan O'Neil Hughes1h 39m Intermediate
2. What Is Black-and-White Photography?
3. Shooting in Black and White
4. Black-and-White Post-Production
5. Printing in Black and White
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.