This video explains how to create a nostalgic, hand-colored look.
- [Instructor] There are many techniques…for hand coloring old black and white images.…Here's the technique that I'm currently using.…For an image like this, it really pays to be methodical,…so by far, the most time-consuming part…of the process is to create…and save alpha channels for every part of the image…that you want to apply color to.…This is going to make it so much easier to edit the image…if you need to.…Thankfully, this has already been done.…If we come and click on the channels panel,…you can see that I have a number of saved alpha channels.…
For convenience, I'm going to tear this off…so that we have ready access to it.…Before we start applying the color,…I'm going to desaturate the sepia toning…by applying a black and white adjustment layer,…and then above this,…I'm going to add a layer group.…All of my color layers will go in this group.…I could name it, if I wanted to.…And, importantly,…I'm going to change its blending mode to color.…
This just saves us having to change the blending mode…of the layers individually.…
- The color wheel and color relationships
- Managing color swatches
- Transparency and color channels
- Working with the Color Picker
- Additive and subtractive color
- Working with color modes
- Performing color correction
- Saturation and desaturation
- Designing with spot color
- Using adjustments: levels, curves, and white balance
- Using auto color adjustments
- Matching color
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Layer Effectswith Nigel French1h 49m Intermediate
1. Color Terms and Concepts
2. Color Conventions in Photoshop
3. Color Modes in Photoshop
4. Evaluate and Measure Color in Photoshop
5. Enhance Color in Photoshop
6. Techniques for Working with Color in Photoshop
7. Combine Color and Black and White in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.