Once you have created your selection, you may find the need to refine it. This way, you can be more precise in what is selected. What is a technique for refining your selection? In this video, Richard Harrington demonstrates how to grow, smooth, and feather your selection in Adobe Photoshop CC 2017.
- Once you've made a basic selection…you can also modify it…with a few other commands.…Once of those is Grow.…Let's open up…the next four images…and I'll put this in action.…You'll see for example…that we can really improve…the contrast and exposure of this image.…It was shot in the middle of the day…and the light was a little bit flat.…But now I can improve that.…Additionally we can take…something that is not colorized…and add a slight tint.…
Let's start with this more basic example.…Using the magic wand…I will click to make a basic selection.…And you see…we can continue to click…on a series of each of these pieces.…And after a few clicks…they should get picked up.…The challenge here though…if I press the Click Mask…you'll notice it…it's not a very clean selection.…We've got some areas…that should be selected here…where the rough faded paint transition…isn't very good.…I'll press the Click Mask command again…and now just choose Select, Grow.…
Grow expands that selection.…That worked pretty well.…It picked up…a little bit of a line here though…
- What are selections?
- Creating masks from selections
- Moving a selection
- Selecting with the Quick Selection tool
- Transforming a selection
- Using the Refine Edge command
- Selecting a color or tonal range throughout the image
- Making a selection with the Pen tool
- Saving a selection as an alpha channel
- Creating a selection from multiple channels with the Calculations command
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Are Selections?
2. Getting Started with Selection Tools
3. The Wand Tools
4. Refining a Selection
5. Power User Techniques
6. Creating Selections with Channels
What are channels?3m 43s
7. Face-Aware Liquify
Final thoughts1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.