Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Finding and shooting a black-and-white image, part of Photography Foundations: Black and White.
It's a lovely afternoon here in Southern California, and so I decided to get out…shooting, as one should do all those lovely afternoons.…We've got this cool railroad trestle here, and we've got about an hour left of daylight.…So, we are in great black-and-white shooting situations here. The light is…really turning in our favor.…You can probably see that I do have the warm late-afternoon glow.…We don't care so much about that because we are shooting black and white, but…I am also getting a lot of texture, a lot of shadows, a lot of play of…highlights and things.…So, all I am going to do here is just see what I can find.…
This is how shooting works.…I don't really have any grand idea;…I am just going to start poking around.…Right off the bat, I'm thinking that depth of field is--I probably want as much…of it as I can get.…So, I put my camera in aperture priority mode.…I have set it on f/11.…I am just going to leave it there for right now.…It's already a little bit dark, so at f/11,…I have bumped up to ISO 200 to be sure that I get good exposures.…
- Why shoot in black and white
- How to recognize good black-and-white subject matter
- Preparing the camera
- Shooting a tone-based subject
- Exposing for black and white
- Understanding grayscale
- Converting from color to black and white using Photoshop CS4 or CS5
- Converting to black and white in Camera Raw
- Toning and split-toning
- Comparing high key versus low key images
- Preparing a black and white image for print
Skill Level Intermediate
2. What Is Black-and-White Photography?
3. Shooting in Black and White
4. Black-and-White Post-Production
5. Printing in Black and White
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.