Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Filling in the gaps in the background, part of Photoshop for Photographers: Compositing.
Now that we have done some initial work on the background, next let's take a look…at how we can recompose this photograph by changing the overall canvas size.…In order to do that, let's zoom out by pressing Command+- on a Mac or…Ctrl+- on Windows.…Then go ahead and turn off the visibility of your Background layer, so that we…can see through to these transparent areas.…We are going to actually add even more transparency to our photograph for more vacant areas.…We are going to do that by using our Crop tool.…
So press the C key to select Crop tool or click on it in the Tools panel.…Next, when you're working with this tool you almost always want to turn off this…option of Delete Cropped Pixels, if you are using Photoshop CS6 or later,…because it allows you to crop in a way that isn't destructive. You can always…undo the crop after the fact.…Next, let's go ahead and click on these handles and drag out the crop here, we're…going to go ahead and drag that out, the top handle I'll bring down a little…
- Combining facial expressions from two images
- Creating a better group portrait with Photomerge
- Removing a subject from the background
- Changing the scale of a subject
- Enhancing the color and tone of a composite image
- Masking together multiple exposures
- Filling in background gaps
- Correcting overexposure
- Replacing the sky in an image
- Creating reflections
- Building in shadows
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
Photoshop for Photographers: Creative Effectswith Chris Orwig4h 57m Intermediate
Photoshop CS6 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost10h 30m Beginner
1. Combining Expressions
2. Adding a Subject to a New Environment
3. Compositing to Improve Composition
4. Combining Exposures in Architectural Photography
5. Replacing the Sky in an Image
6. Showing Frame-by-Frame Action in Sports
7. Creating an Imaginative Scene
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.