Learn how to quickly color your illustration with flat color by using layers and the Magic Wand tool.
- [Instructor] Now that I have Zoe's illustration…all cleaned up and ready to go,…we can start filling this with color.…And I have a couple of tricks…that make this process very fast.…The first thing we're gonna do…is double click on this background layer…and rename is sketch.…So it's no longer a background layer.…And then I'm gonna make a bunch of new layers.…'Cause it's just easier to do them at the beginning.…We'll take the sketch and drag it to the very top,…and then we're gonna change the layer blend mode of this…from normal to multiply.…
And we talked about using multiply in another movie.…Multiply makes white transparent.…So now I can do all the coloring in the layers underneath,…and you'll see through the white to the colors.…So let's go ahead and label these first,…because I also find that to be an easier way to work.…So the elements we have to deal with here are the coat,…so we'll call this coat.…We have her top.…Her pants.…
Boots.…Hair.…And finally skin.…So those are all the layers that we need,…and each color's gonna be on a different layer,…
- Using and scaling pattern fills
- Making basic patterns
- Turning scanned swatches into a pattern
- Working with textured fabrics or ditsy prints
- Working with other types of repeats
- Preparing your illustration
- Manipulating pattern fills
- Swapping patterns
- Mocking up photos
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop Retouching: Fashion Editorialwith Timothy Sexton58m 7s Intermediate
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
1. Important Tools to Know
2. Pattern Basics
3. Working with Scanned Fabric Swatches
4. Prepping the Illustration
5. Manipulating Pattern Fills
6. Swapping Patterns
7. Mocking Up Photos
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.