Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Editing Smart Objects, part of Photoshop: Smart Objects.
- [Instructor] There's a key difference…between regular layers and Smart Objects.…Let's choose the color replacement tool…and on the original layer,…we can change the color of this chair…simply by choosing the color we want…and painting over the blue.…When we go to do the same on the Smart Object layer,…we get this dialogue.…It says that you can't edit the contents…of a Smart Object directly.…Do we want to rasterize it,…which means turn it into a regular layer?…No we don't.…
So let's cancel that.…Instead, we'll look at how Smart Objects work.…You can see this icon in the corner…and that indicates that this is a Smart Object…that it contains the original layer.…When we double click it,…it now opens that layer in a new window.…And here it is, Elvis copy.psb…and .psb is the internal Photoshop file format.…We can now paint over this.…
We've changed it inside the .psb.…When we close this window, we'll get a prompt saying…do you want to save the changes?…Yes we do.…Click save.…And there now is the Smart Object…with those changes saved back into it.…
- Editing Smart Objects
- Working with multiple layers
- Replacing contents
- Using Smart Filters
- Nesting Smart Objects
- Creating flexible cover shots
- Working with Camera Raw
- Working with videos and Illustrator files
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Photoshop for Designers: Shape Layerswith Nigel French2h 52m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Smart Objects
2. Replacing Contents
3. Smart Filters
4. Multiple Smart Objects
5. Flexible Cover Shots
6. Complex Distortion
7. Working with Camera Raw
8. Smart Object Tips and Tricks
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.