In this video, explore the Dodge, Burn, and Sponge tools and see how they affect your colors.
- [Narrator] There is another set of tools that we can use … to manipulate the color that is … already on our digital canvas. … We find find it over here in the tool bar. … And these are the dodge tool, the burn tool, … and the sponge tool. … Now, what all these three tools have in common … is that they do not change the position of pixels. … They do not push color around the digital canvas. … They just adjust the color value. … So, with the dodge tool for example, … I can brighten up the pixels on the my digital canvas. … As you can see, everything here gets brighter. … This tool is often used to create magical glow effects. … And to give that extra … shiny effect to sunset or something like that. … We can use this tool in different ranges … that we can choose up here in the options bar. … We are currently working in the highlights. … But we can also set it to mid tones or shadows. … And depending on the selection here, … we will manipulate different value ranges in our image. … So, if we choose shadows, …
- Setting up a digital canvas
- Using palettes
- Selecting color using the Eyedropper
- Fine-tuning pressure of tablet pens
- Adding a Quick Mask
- Trying different Blending modes
- Using the Smudge, Blur, and Sharpen tools
- Using the Mixer brush
- Dodging and burning
- Selective saturation using the Sponge tool
- Using the Clone Stamp tool
- Transforming selections
- Color adjustments
- Changing layer opacity
- Adding shadows and highlights
- Painting a foreground, midground, and background
Skill Level Beginner
1. Setting the Digital Canvas
2. Control of the Digital Screen
3. Tools for Choosing Color
4. Settings for the Brush Tool
5. Additional Tools for Applying Color
6. Supporting Tools
7. Manipulating Color
8. Organizing the Digital Canvas
9. Digital Drawing
10. Colored, Digital Drawing
11. Digital Painting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.