Join Daniel Lieske for an in-depth discussion in this video Dodge, Burn, and Sponge tools, part of Drawing and Painting in Photoshop - The Great Training.
- Another set of tools that we can use…to manipulate the color…that is already on the canvas…is located here in the tool palette.…It's the dodge tool, the burn tool,…and the sponge tool.…The dodge tool is really handy…for raising the contrast in certain image areas,…so if I apply it here, you see that I can easily…amplify the contrast of these colors here.…
This tool is frequently used to create…fire or glow effects,…magic effects,…and stuff like this.…This is really helpful in creating…really glowing and striking effects.…We can adjust the way it works…here in this little pull-down.…We can choose to enhance the shadows,…the midtones, or the highlights,…but the highlights is normally the…best choice when we use it to…ramp up the contrast in our image.…
Then we have the burn tool,…which is the counterpart to the dodge tool.…Again, we can choose to manipulate…the shadows, the midtones, or the highlights.…I will choose the midtones now and…that way we…darken certain areas of the image,…but note that the light areas are…not touched by this manipulation.…
- Setting up your digital canvas
- Controlling the screen
- Choosing color
- Working with brushes, textures, and the Paint Bucket and Gradient tools
- Making selections
- Working in Quick Mask mode
- Stroking and filling paths
- Manipulating color
- Organizing the canvas with layers
- Digital drawing and painting projects
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Creating a Digital Painting with Photoshop CS5with Daniel Lieske2h 17m Intermediate
1. Setting the Digital Canvas
2. Control of the Digital Screen
3. Tools for Choosing Color
4. Tools for the Application of Color
5. Supporting Tools
6. Manipulating Color
7. Organizing the Digital Canvas
8. Digital Drawing
9. Colored, Digital Drawing
10. Digital Painting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.