A captured tip is the most flexible tip type in terms of variety. Any existing graphic can be captured, converted to luminance value, and used as tip shape mask, thereby allowing the current color(s) to be painted.
- [Voiceover] The captured brush tip is probably Photoshop's…number one method for creating unique,…expressive brush strokes.…The gambit runs from simple captured graphics used…essentially as digital rubber stamps,…to sophisticated design dabs that are engineered to…maximize the desired brush stroke appearance.…In this movie, we're going to explore the engineered dab…for creating a painterly brush stroke.…Let's begin.…So, I'm going to be using, to begin here,…the hard round brush,…and what we're going to do is actually,…before creating the actual brush stroke brush,…I'm going to create a tool that I can use in the…creation of this brush.…
What I want is a brush that has some…randomness built into it.…Let's open up the brush panel,…and the first thing I can do is go to shape dynamics…and I'm going to turn up size jitter.…I'm just going to crank it all the way here.…I can also go back to my bush size here,…and I can play with spacing a bit.…Let's just try what we've got.…Okay, that is getting to where I want it.…The other thing I want to do is…
John begins by going over some important brush tips that many artists are unaware of: bristle, erodible, and airbrush tips. He talks about how to customize the brushes and use them to mimic natural bristle brushes, chalk, and spray paint. He also addresses some global issues such as paint flow and spacing, which can have a dramatic impact on any brush you create.
From there he jumps into some more advanced techniques, such as blending colors, loading brushes with multiple colors, and using Brush Projection. Use these tips together to extend the toolset and maximize your creative freedom in Photoshop.
- What brush do you want to create?
- Designing brush tips
- Painting with bristle tips and erodible tips
- Simulating spray paint with airbrush tips
- Saving brush presets
- Blending color
- Enhancing fidelity with dual brushes