Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Deselecting and reselecting, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
When you are working with the selections, a fundamental skill is knowing how to…deselect, or eliminate the marching ants when you're done with them.…To show you that, I will make a simple selection, by selecting the Rectangular…Marquee tool in the toolbox and then moving into the image and clicking and…dragging a rectangular selection around the white part of this sign.…I'd like to fill that area with a color.…I will select the color by getting the Eyedropper tool in the toolbox and…clicking in the yellow part of my image, and that sets the foreground color in…the toolbox to this desaturated yellow.…
Next, I will go up to the Edit menu, and I will choose Fill.…Here, in the Fill dialog box, I will make sure the Use menu is set to Foreground…Color, and then I will go down to the Blending mode menu.…I am going to change the Blending mode from Normal to Color so that when I…fill with this yellow, I will be able to retain the underlying tonality of the photograph.…I will click OK, and now I am done with the marching ants.…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland26h 24m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.