Join Justin Reznick for an in-depth discussion in this video Defining the HIPS acronym for the shooting workflow, part of Landscape Photography: Washington's Olympic National Park.
- Our first approach to the creek…is part of an acronym I call HIPS.…"H" stands for "Hand-holding to compose".…I want to mention that I have a course…called "Photographing Waterfalls".…If you've seen that, this will be a reminder for you,…and we'll dive in even deeper.…If you haven't, I highly recommend you…check out that course,…which will help get you up to speed on photographing water.…Now, when I hand-hold to compose,…I leave the tripod to the side.…The tripod gets in the way,…typically somebody puts their tripod down,…that's where they're gonna shoot.…
What we want to do is be loose and explore.…Move side-to-side in the river, up the river,…down, low, high, you just really want to…figure out what works for you.…It's an overcast day and we have…a lot of forest foliage above us,…so it's actually incredibly dark in here.…I did an ISO of 6400, and an aperture of 5.6.…This gives me a really fast shutter speed,…so that I can hand-hold and get sharp images…that I can then study and look over.…Once I've gone through that,…
- Defining the HIPS acronym for the shooting workflow
- Taking a serene shot of a creek
- Shooting waterfalls
- Isolating trees in a forest
- Getting a macro shot of the forest floor
- Shooting reflective pools
- Using a tilt-shift lens for a panorama
- Shooting fall foliage
- Comparing polarized shots
Skill Level Intermediate
Landscape Photography: Waterfallswith Justin Reznick32m 36s Beginner
Enhancing a Landscape Photo with Lightroomwith Jan Kabili49m 47s Appropriate for all
Travel Photography: Mountains and Snow Landscapeswith Ben Long2h 27m Intermediate
Landscape Photography: Washington's Palouse Regionwith Justin Reznick1h 50m Intermediate
Introduction to the Olympic National Forest
1. Shooting in the Sol Duc Valley
2. Shooting Second Beach on the Olympic Peninsula
3. Shooting in the Hoh Rain Forest
4. Reviewing the Final Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.