This video covers expanding the tonal range using a Gradient Map.
- [Instructor] In this movie, I'm going to talk about…creative toning with a gradient map.…Using a gradient map, you can assign tonal ranges…in an image to the colors of a gradient.…The gradient map is the last but one…in your list of Adjustment Layers.…To change the gradient, click on the Gradient bar…in the Properties panel.…I'm going to load some preset gradients,…the Photographic Toning presets.…I will append these.…And now I can choose any of these to apply to the image.…
So what's happening here, let's go with this one, say.…My shadows are remapped to this color,…my highlights are remapped to this color,…and then, continuing that, along my different percentages,…my midtones are remapped to this color,…my deep shadows remapped to this color,…et cetera, et cetera.…I could, if I wanted to, reverse this…to get a sort of negative effect…but what's great about a gradient map is that it gives us…a tonal richness that just wouldn't be possible…with a grayscale image.…
Now, another way to think about gradient maps…
- The color wheel and color relationships
- Managing color swatches
- Transparency and color channels
- Working with the Color Picker
- Additive and subtractive color
- Working with color modes
- Performing color correction
- Saturation and desaturation
- Designing with spot color
- Using adjustments: levels, curves, and white balance
- Using auto color adjustments
- Matching color
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Layer Effectswith Nigel French1h 49m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
1. Color Terms and Concepts
2. Color Conventions in Photoshop
3. Color Modes in Photoshop
4. Evaluate and Measure Color in Photoshop
5. Enhance Color in Photoshop
6. Techniques for Working with Color in Photoshop
7. Combine Color and Black and White in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.