Working with creative Lab techniques is a powerful but specialized set of techniques. In this video, learn when to use Lab and where Lab should go in your post-production workflow. Become inspired to unlock the power of Lab in your own work.
- [Harold] These days, … there are lots of things you need to know in Photoshop. … I sometimes make the joke that no one person … can know all of Photoshop and that it takes a village, … and this isn't really a joke because it's true. … There are folks that are good at compositing, … folks that are good with color, … folks that understand three dimensional design in Photoshop … and so on. … With all this wealth of tools, … the fundamental area of the creative use … of LAB color has becoming seemingly a backwater. … Ah, but what a glorious backwater. … As a toolkit, you've learned that LAB … can easily be used for color enhancement, … to extend and make dynamic range more pleasing, … for selective sharpening, and via LAB channel operations … for having great fun with color. … My hope is that my Photoshop LAB color action … that I've gifted you with … will make this process easier in your own work. … Starting with the key concepts … of color opponency and gray scale separation, … you've learned a set of techniques that should be …
- Converting images to Lab Color space
- Applying Curves to Lab channels
- Selective sharpening
- Inverting channels
- Making per-channel equalizations
- Using the Lab action
- Combining Lab Color with blending modes
- Making patterns with Lab images
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Backgrounds and Textureswith Harold Davis2h 18m Intermediate
Enhancing Landscape Photos with Photoshop and Lightroomwith Ben Long1h 30m Intermediate
Enhancing Night and Low-Light Photos with Photoshopwith Seán Duggan2h 12m Intermediate
1. Fine-Tuning an Image with LAB and Curves
2. Using the Inversion Adjustment
Inverting the A channel3m 25s
3. Working with Equalizations
4. A Palette of Lab Possibilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.